[Arm-netbook] Project status / 3D printing of resin cases?

David Niklas doark at mail.com
Tue Aug 14 04:06:07 BST 2018

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 23:20:19 +0200
Vincent <ml.eoma68 at eml.cc> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm a little bit worried since there has been no status update for
> quite a while and little to no activity on this mailing list for over 2
> weeks.
<snip>
> any news would be highly appreciated.
<snip>

Luke has been sooo busy he has been postponing his prolific posting
habits (replying to me too).
Expect nothing more from luke than something short that only somewhat
answers the question that you were asking. This is just his situation.

As for my status, (since you did ask why the ML was silent), I'm hand
soldering an eDP connector. It is going poorly as the pins are so small
that I had to buy a set of 20x mag glasses. These arrived 2 weeks late
and bent, today. They do not fit either. They are too small. Augh. If
that was not bad enough they have to be within 1/2 inch in order to
focus. How am I supposed to work with that?
Furthermore, the pins cannot be desoldered because the plastic connector
becomes too hot and the pins fall out. I tried a low temp and then a high
temp to shock the solder off with the same result.
True, I could special order a 30pin eDP connector, but why spend $70 on a
screen and then $50-$140 on a cable (alibaba est.), without shipping
included?!
I also bought a soldering stand, but it would not hold my very small
pieces stable so I tightened the nut and the metal bent!
I am tired of the stupid designs people keep inventing for inventors, so
I bought a 6 arm plastic work piece holder. It works well, but heaven
help me if I have to buy a replacement arm. They are so expensive (as
was the the 6 arm work piece holder)!
While I am working on the connector I decided to buy an adapter to
connect the HDMI output of my SBC to a spare VGA panel. It has been a
10 days (6 business), since I ordered it and it still has not shipped...

Well, I am upset at my circumstances but at least I am learning, right? I
think I'll try using some solder paste and or a heat shrink in between
the pins to prevent myself from cross soldering them.

What I really need is to figure out, "What dissolves Rosin flux?" I tried
acetone (aka. nail polish remover), dish soap, turpentine (aka. paint
thinner), plain soap, and alcohol without effect. All the above were
recommended online by a verity of clueless loosers.

Sincerely,
David