[Arm-netbook] will lap-top really be 1.1 kg, and how wide

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Apr 25 04:39:12 BST 2018

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 11:13 PM, Chadvellacott
<chadvellacott at sasktel.net> wrote:

>    I noticed that the campaign's main page on "Crowd Supply", says "Only 1.1
> kg weight" for the lap-top.

 yes.  no metal except that of the LCD (which i recall was 400g).  no
SSD, no HDD, no fans, no heatsinks (except the metal of the keyboard
is in direct contact with the metal of the CPU Card case).  it's a
good illustration of the "mass decompounding" effect, a phrase first
used in the vehicle industry.

>    And how wide is the lap-top planned to be (from the left edge of the
> case, to the right edge, across the key-board)?

 you can check for yourself by downloading the GPLv3-licensed 3D CAD
source code.
   https://www.youmagine.com/designs/libre-hardware-licensed-parametric-laptop-design/

>  (I imagine that 15.6 inches
> is for the screen itself rather than the whole case, and is a diagonal
> measurement.)

 the LCD is listed on the rhombus-tech page, from which the datasheet
may be sourced, and there is approximately 2mm left and right, about
10mm top, about.... 25mm at the bottom.

 that gives the overall dimensions.