[Arm-netbook] microdesktop and eoma68-a20 upcoming crowd-funding campaign starts 5th nov 2014

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Nov 3 09:07:13 GMT 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 7:13 AM, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:

>> your help in getting the message across much appreciated.
>> crowd-funding campaigns work by having people put out the word, but it

> so maybe you should put a link to the website somewhere in your email

 normally in a conversation which is non-confrontational one would
word this as a question, "i don't see a link to the web site, is that
an oversight or is there a reason why?"

 so let's assume that that's what you've asked, if that's ok, and the
answer would then be as follows:

 apologies but this is quite a tight deadline for organising
everything: i only got the units last week, had to prepare them and
have shipped one of the prototypes to them only a few days ago, so
that they can take photographs and get the web site ready (even if it
just a sign-up landing page).

 so, to answer your kind question simon it's not ready yet.  as people
on this list have been so supportive i did not however want to go
straight to "surpriise! campaign!", instead letting you know what's
happening and what's coming next.

 now, the point of writing what i am writing right now is to ask
people who may be considering helping get the word out is to *change
the focus*.  previously we (including myself) have been telling a
"what how why" story.  or a "what why how" story.  look at
ice-computer's crowd-funding campaign:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ice-xpc-a-modular-computer-as-small-as-your-phone

fantastic idea: we know that... but you have to go 80% the way through
the text to find out that its purpose is to reduce e-waste!  if you
don't hook people on *why*, then they go "yeahh it's all very good, i
get the specs and all, but it doesn't *feel* right" - just as simon
sinek says.

so please, when you talk with people about this project, tell them
"because you will help reduce e-waste" as the first priority.

any questions?