[Arm-netbook] EOMA - Open Specification?

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Tue May 27 10:01:58 BST 2014

> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM, mike.valk at gmail.com
> <mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:

> >>  not maybe: is.  why would you question that?

> >>  jon: you may not have been following the discussions from the past
> >> couple of years.
> >>
> >>  you may have not seen the scenario discussions where 3rd parties get
> >> the standard so badly wrong that they destroy not only the reputation
> >> of the EOMA standards but also create short-circuits that cause fires,
> >> destruction of personal property and possibly end up killing people.
> >>
> >>  do you want that possibility to occur?
> >>
> >>  if not, what solution would you offer?
> >>
> >>  please, before saying "this is troubling" actually think it through.
> >> if you can come up with an alternative strategy please describe it.
> >

> > The scary thought is that the EOMA standard might not get off because
> > someone hogs to
> > 1. Requires a unworkable fee to become compliant
>
> well, think it through mike.  if the goal is "make use of free
> software community and join them with factories" and a high fee
> prevents and prohibits the free software community from being able to
> participate, then that destroys the goal, doesn't it?

I Know what your intentions are. I believe in them. And I believe
"Rhombus-Tech" won't hog it. It would be counter productive.

I was just playing "devils-advocate", I read "Ban" and "Remove EOMA from
all public notion" and "Never, ever". And I think so did others, and
expressed/felt some fear from recent events

You drew a hard-line, probably a good one, the idea needs to be protected.
It just needs clarification were the line is drawn. We walking uncharted
territory here. FUD is a powerful enemy.

>   so on that basis, what would you rate the chances of quotes high fees
> quotes being involved?
>

> > 2. Others may get blocked purly on ego
>
>  that would be genuinely stupid.  as you probably know i am pretty
> pathological about decision-making when it comes to achieving specific
> goals.  things like "ego" don't come into it.  i assess "is this going
> to further the goal, yes or no" and that really is the end of it:
> there *is* no "this person is a dick therefore they are out".  they
> can be as much of a dick as they like, as long as they get results
> that don't jeapordise the goal.
>
>   at some point i want a foundation, and a charter that i am happy
> will be able to continue without my input - i will have other things
> to do.  we are however looking at like 3-5 years into the future.

I put on my vote for confidence in you and "Rhombus-Tech" to protect the
standard. Whatever the weight of that vote may be.

> > If there is a "guide to EOMA compliancy", nobody should be to worried.
>
>  good idea.  can i ask you a favour of putting some comments on the
> elinux.org eoma page - discussion - suggesting what that should
> entail?

Err. I would be happy too. I'm not sure were to start though. But lets
figure that out.