[Arm-netbook] EOMA - Open Specification?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue May 27 08:44:36 BST 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 12:39 AM, Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:
> On 05/26/2014 05:49 PM, peter green wrote:
>
>> Your associate blacklisted someone because of a single launch product
>> launch gone bad and that blacklisting extends not just to not
>> collaborating with them on a product launch again (which would be
>> perfecting understandable) but to banning them from using EOMA.
>>
>> By doing so he has sent the message "we will ban people from using EOMA
>> for reasons other than using the EOMA name on a product that doesn't
>> meet the spec". That is a seriously worrying message for anyone
>> considering implementing EOMA based products.
>>

> If you don't get a straight answer then all you need to do is not reuse the
> PCMCIA connector and pin out. There's really nothing special about it and
> the enclosures could do with some improvement. There no spec on the thermal
> management either.
>
> Post your own spec under an open hardware license that will be difficult to
> patent and the blacklisting problem is solved.

the only thing to consider here is to ensure that there is no
electronic or electrical incompatibility.  the worst possible thing
that could happen is short-circuits on the power lines in
battery-operated devices that cause the battery to explode and catch
fire.

so you say "just reuse PCMCIA" presumably without communicating.  it's
more complex than that.

anyway: enough, please.  i have been forced into a situation where i
am now extremely busy.