[Arm-netbook] Improv And Operation:Marketing for EMOA-*

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun May 25 23:18:08 BST 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Luke can always add a USB-to-SATA IC in the MEB, and the MEB will have SATA.
>
> FWIW, for my own use (mostly low-power servers, running 24/7),
> SATA-via-USB is a non-starter because my experience has always been that
> these are not nearly as reliable as true SATA.

 for low-power servers when SoCs with USB3 arrive it will always be
possible to get a higher quality USB3-to-SATA IC.... on the
baseboard... for those situations that need it.

 .... and the cost of the CPU Card for other purposes that make it
affordable and desirable will not be overburdened by the cost of the
SATA interface.

 look at the cost of the iMX6 ($36) compared to the RK3188 ($12) - and
you start to understand what's driving this.