[Arm-netbook] Improv And Operation:Marketing for EMOA-*

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun May 25 09:18:50 BST 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 12:49 AM, Derek LaHousse <dlahouss at mtu.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-05-24 at 11:36 +0200, Miguel Garcia wrote:
>> >
>> >  so i am inclined, especially because i anticipate USB3 SoCs coming
>> > along over the next 8-9 years, to replace SATA with USB2 and 2 other
>> > lines.  i think, joe, that one of them should be the "TTL high Power
>> > Line" for the voltage levels on GPIO (and UART).
>> >

>> I think it's a good idea.
>>
>> EOMA-68 should be compatible with most SoCs. If SATA prevents EOMA is
>> compatible with most SoCs, I think it is better to delete SATA.
>
> If all you want is to make a product that works for tablets, go ahead.
> But SATA is a disk standard, while USB is a peripheral bus.  As I
> understand it (and I could be wrong, please educate me), the USB bus
> generally has to go through CPU,

 the standard mentor usb hard macros have associated source code which
is DMA driven.

 allwinner licensed mentor's usb hard macros, and cheerfully
completely ignored mentor's source code on which the linux kernel
driver for many years has been based, writing their own usb driver
which places some considerable load on the CPU.

 it has yet to be seen whether they have the good sense to get with
the program when they start doing USB3.

> So, if I can echo some of what Luke has said previously, this is for
> tablet AND tv AND laptop AND mini-computer.  Please please please do NOT
> cut out the SATA connector.

 we have a choice derek: don't have a successful standard because the
number of available SoCs are too far apart, or have a successful
standard that has many SoCs per year to choose from over the next
decade.

 that isn't much of a choice, so, logically, we go with the success option.