[Arm-netbook] [router] schematics started

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 21:35:20 BST 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Derek <dlahouss at mtu.edu> wrote:
> luke.leighton <luke.leighton <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> talking to arokux yesterday i'm adding *two* MiniPCIe slots, one is
>> for 3G and the other for WIFI cards.  not sure whether to make them
>> both capable of taking SIMs... ehh, you can always get e.g. HE910s
>> with a SIM holder attached, so i'll make sure the power circuits are
>> up to the job of providing clean power.
>
> Two mPCIe, neither of which are actually wired for PCIe?  That's going to
> cause confusion.

 not at all.  it's extremely common to use MiniPCIe for USB only in
the embedded world.  look up the mikrotic routerboards for example.
and the pc-engines alix6f2.  the gpl-violating ct-pc89e did the exact
same trick as well: two slots, one wired with a SIM card holder, the
other without.  both USB only.

>> SATA comes from the MEB concept.  it's there, why not.
>
> Feed it to an mSATA wired slot, and optionally provide eSATA.

 yeah that would work.

>> 4 ports of 10/100 ethernet is completely excessive, but kinda fun.
>> what the heck.
>
> Future-proof it, and give some ports of gigabit ethernet.

 i'd love to.... and i _just_ explained to phil (off-list) why i'm not
going to do that for this first revision.  if anyone manages to find
an equivalent to the rtl8305sc before the schematics and PCB design
are finished, i'll consider it.  but it does have to be an equivalent,
_and_ one that doesn't require an NDA, _and_ is still current, _and_
isn't going end-of-life any time soon, _and_ is fully integrated with
direct UTP driving @ gigabit speeds without needing one extra PHY IC
per interface.

> Remember, you
> plan to only upgrade the EOMA card, to save on e-waste etc.
>
>> 44-pin header...
>
> Maybe split the RGB wires out into a header that can take a shield, for
> later production of RGB-to-LVDS boards designed for specific LCDs.

 that's the plan.

>  My
> understanding is that the number of wires across those cables and the plug
> they use is always different.  Don't forget I2C and USB (from the
> on-routerboard hub)... Hmm, this is a bit much for a routerboard, but would
> be good to remember on a maxi-Engineering board.

 nono, it's quite easy to do, i was planning this anyway... errr...
except the USB, i was only planning to put the one hub on, there's 4
ports, so 2 to the 2 MiniPCIe-USB interfaces, and then 2 USB ports.

 keeping it loooow and simple.