[Arm-netbook] A new MK802 failing to boot from SD

Olaf Holgerson dragonarch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 13:12:06 GMT 2013

Roman Mamedov <rm <at> romanrm.ru> writes:

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 12:26:43 +0000 (UTC)
> Olaf Holgerson <dragonarch <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Did you solve the issue with sd-card boot on MK802?
>
> Hello,
>
> No I did not solve it. I still have the problematic MK802 lying around, so if
> you come to any solution please tell me about it, so I can try it too.
>
> Last time I experimented with it, in the end I placed my own kernel into nanda
> with root= hardcoded to be /dev/mmc0blk1p2; it successfully loads that kernel
> from nanda and then proceeds to boot with rootfs on SD. But this is very
> inconvenient, I would have to update kernel in nanda each time on kernel
> upgrades, and if the new kernel fails to work, it's then a messy process with
> Android and adb to swap back to the previous kernel (not the usual "just
> insert SD into some other device").

Well,
I'm sure that the problem lays somewhere in the nanda content, u-boot binary
or boot scripts. There is an error connected with the hardware detection
part of u-boot (same problem as yours on the earlier versions of u-boot/spl -
MMC detection is null, and much more complicated to understanding and digging
on the current version of u-boot I've just built):

U-Boot SPL 2012.10-04266-g20efdee (Mar 02 2013 - 10:16:49)
DRAM: ? ? 0MB
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

Let's cooperate (by email is fine), Roman, if you are interested and willed to
help me to solve this issue - and provide the final result to all interested in
this topic.

//Olaf