[Arm-netbook] A new MK802 failing to boot from SD

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Thu Mar 7 12:50:54 GMT 2013

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 12:26:43 +0000 (UTC)
Olaf Holgerson <dragonarch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you solve the issue with sd-card boot on MK802?
>
> I'm just bought two mk802's and one of them doesn't boot from SD,
> so I gather some information about the issue.
>
> First of all I've made and connect an uart cable on problematical device.
>
> Second step - I've grab content from /dev/block/nanda for both of devices -
> bootable (good) and not (bad).
>
> Third obvious step - compare content of boot0.bin and boot.bin content on both
> devices - there are some differences (tried to convert *.bin to *.fex, next
> diff good-boot.fex bad-boot.fex > diff-boot.fex
> - this operation shows me a lot of differences).
>
> Fourth step for me (on the way) - dig the differences and change problematical
> device *.fex to fix the issue, compile to *.bin, upload to nanda and check that
> it helps. If it doesn't help - change u-boot on the nand and try to boot again.
>
> Last step, if fourth falls - upload my linux distro over android to nand and
> rest in peace with it.
>
> So, Roman - did you already solve the issue and get the positive result on
> SD card booting, or I must go my way?

Hello,

No I did not solve it. I still have the problematic MK802 lying around, so if
you come to any solution please tell me about it, so I can try it too.

Last time I experimented with it, in the end I placed my own kernel into nanda
with root= hardcoded to be /dev/mmc0blk1p2; it successfully loads that kernel
from nanda and then proceeds to boot with rootfs on SD. But this is very
inconvenient, I would have to update kernel in nanda each time on kernel
upgrades, and if the new kernel fails to work, it's then a messy process with
Android and adb to swap back to the previous kernel (not the usual "just
insert SD into some other device").

--
With respect,
Roman