[Arm-netbook] pricing on eoma68 cards

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Mon Apr 15 05:30:55 BST 2013

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 01:06:25 +0100
"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/12/18/rhombus-tech-eoma-68-cpu-card-prototype/
>
> jean-luc, i've only just spotted this, doing a google search.  the
> very first line states "we, rhombus tech, a for-profit company, will
> be going out of business by being a charity and giving away product at
> at least a $30 loss".

Well I for one can say that I am not confused by this.

"Targets a BOM cost of $15" as written on the web site does not mean "will
sell to end users for $15". Of course there are other things involved in a
cost of the board other than just Bill of Materials (e.g. also work;
transportation - of semi-finished boards, I don't mean 'shipping' here;
testing, etc; and profit margin). And BOM is just the cost of bare parts (not
even put together), and that, only when they are bought in the thousands,

But I can understand that you are concerned some people will only remember the
number and will ask "wasn't it supposed to be $15".

--
With respect,
Roman