[Arm-netbook] pricing on eoma68 cards

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 12:30:51 BST 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 01:06:25 +0100
> "luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/12/18/rhombus-tech-eoma-68-cpu-card-prototype/
> >
> > jean-luc, i've only just spotted this, doing a google search.  the
> > very first line states "we, rhombus tech, a for-profit company, will
> > be going out of business by being a charity and giving away product at
> > at least a $30 loss".
>
> Well I for one can say that I am not confused by this.
>
> "Targets a BOM cost of $15" as written on the web site does not mean "will
> sell to end users for $15". Of course there are other things involved in a
> cost of the board other than just Bill of Materials (e.g. also work;
> transportation - of semi-finished boards, I don't mean 'shipping' here;
> testing, etc; and profit margin). And BOM is just the cost of bare parts
> (not
> even put together), and that, only when they are bought in the thousands,

it wasn't even that!  it was "we were told that a tablet ***COULD*** be
$15".  not "we are aiming for $15".  actually it was "we were told that a
tablet could be $15 and a laptop could be $20" - it might have been $22, i
forget now, it was a while back.

we don't actually know how they calculated that $15 BOM.  it was probably
by leaving out every connector except one USB port, booting off of SD and
providing 256mb of RAM.

But I can understand that you are concerned some people will only remember
> the
> number and will ask "wasn't it supposed to be $15".

yes.  exactly.  and so we may be accused of mis-selling and end up being
sued.  so - jean-luc: please take that mis-information off your web site.

many thanks.