[Arm-netbook] root hacked

Oliver Kiddle okiddle at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 19 09:07:04 GMT 2010

--- On Fri, 19/2/10, Jon Ervine <jon.ervine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sweet! What was the backdoor? Adding midfun to sudoers?
>
> There is no sudo/sudoers on this netbook. This works very
> sweetly. What I did was copy the existing passwd file, and
> modified the root password entry to 'something I

I had it add an additional line to /etc/passwd for a new user that wasn't called root but had a uid/gid of zero.

> knew' in this copy. The original /sbin/udevd I backed up
> and then created a new /sbin/udevd which was a shell script
> call my backed up original /sbin/udevd with the '-d'

I didn't want to take any risks that -d was the only option it is ever called with so used:
exec /sbin/udevd.orig "$@"

> Worked like a champ. I'm sure there are other, more
> elegant ways of getting a backdoor too ....

As I was looking around on the thing later there were quite a number of things that caught my eye.

Oliver