[Arm-netbook] next step is a boot image

Pablo Rath pablo at parobalth.org
Tue Jan 17 10:10:54 GMT 2023

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 10:05:25AM +0100, Andreas Grapentin wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 08:46:34AM +0100, Pablo Rath wrote:
> > Could you please clarify your setup. Is this sunxi-u-boot (legacy
> > u-boot) via fel or written to the sd card?
>
> Unfortunately, I don't remember what bootloader I installed on that
> image. I'm currently in the process of making a toolchain cabable of
> building the legacy sunxi u-boot.

Ok. You are aware of that wiki page, are you?:
https://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/Buildroot_Toolchain/

Once you have the toolchain running and a copy of legacy sunxi u-boot
make sure to checkout this tag:
git checkout v2013.07-sunxi.4

make sure to change the boards.cfg (MMC_SUNXI_SLOT=2), and write sunxi U-Boot to SD-Card with the commands described after v2013.07 or earlier. This were the steps I had to take to boot a sunxi 3.4 kernel and a Debian rootfs in 2020.
I have documented this here:
https://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner/a20/EOMA68-A20_2-7-4_preproduction/
(Section Sunxi U-Boot (legacy))

If it helps, i could upload a copy of sunxi-spl.bin and u-boot.bin for
you.

> I'll upload the 2021 image later today, so other people can take a look.
> But I've already seen that the installation is a bit broken and there's
> no clear upgrade path. I went through the motions and manually updated
> the installation in a chroot. Once I have boot back up working I'll give
> that version a spin and also upload it.

Ok, I'll have a look at your image.

Pablo