[Arm-netbook] EFI/UEFI bios question

Joseph Lira saitdude at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 23:51:11 BST 2017

Hello

I know this is an arm project, but honestly I didn't know where else to ask this question without getting lynch, well hopefully I wont get lynch here neither

So I'm in the market for a new laptop and I recently rediscovered the finding for legbacore when if come to malware attacks

on UEFI, http://www.legbacore.com/Research_files/HowManyMillionBIOSesWouldYouLikeToInfect_Whitepaper_v1.pdf

<http://www.legbacore.com/Research_files/HowManyMillionBIOSesWouldYouLikeToInfect_Whitepaper_v1.pdf>http://www.legbacore.com/Research.html

and how until today there seems to be no real solution to the problem as no manufacture continues to support hardware through bios/firmware updates after usually 1 year of purchasing a product, well Apple seems to be the only one. And no I don't consider as a solution running old x200 with coreboot or libreboot as this approach is not really practical for the day-day user. Let face is who doesn't know someone like this

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cloudy+with+a+chance+of+meatballs+dad+computer&t=ffsb&ia=videos&iax=1&iai=2bTBVdumayw

Just one thing, please don't give me the libre speech about Intel ME, I get it, I just don't want the replies to become a holy fight as to why I'm evil or x person is evil, I want to understand better the situation and possibly get some suggestions

So my questions are

  1.  Is my pre 2014 non uefi hardware more susceptible to vulnerabilities than lets say a laptop that was bough last year that is no longer getting bios updates?
  2.  Should I be concerned about running old hardware? If not is there anything I can do to better protect my hardware and for the wise guy unplugging the computer from the internet is not a solution LOL
  3.  If I run uefi with secure boot enabled with my own keys em I more protected against having my system compromised?Remember this is not about Intel ME
  4.  Em I better off buying a macbook vs pc? lets face it, both are companies that are for profit and both have there own evils
  5.  Should I consider buying a librem laptop? Though I do think $1300 plus is to much. Seems to me that they are closer to have coreboot and disabling ME on there laptops than anyone else
  6.  Is there hope for the new AMD ryzen cpu at delivering what is required to port it to coreboot? Should I wait for it?
  7.  A little of topic but is PureOS from purism any good at doing what it promises? Or are there other distro better?

thank you in advance to anyone who replies, links and articles are welcome