[Arm-netbook] new development laptop needed, looking at dell xps 13 9350

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 08:08:42 GMT 2016

> * 2560x1600 or greater resolution LCD (CAD development)
> * 13in size (has to fit in my backpack)
> * below 1.5kg weight (carryable)
> * 16GB of RAM (i'm maxing out the 8GB)
> * 512GB SSD (i've maxed out the 256GB drive)
> * cooperative manufacturer that hasn't caved in to microsoft
> cartelling business practices

That's  a pretty short list for those specs:
https://tweakers.net/categorie/496/laptops/producten/#filter:RY1BCoMwEEXvMmsrk8QYzQGELrpyWboIGkqKVkmklEru3pkW2tVjHv__2WGJo49d8NMIFtYYbgmKr-yXuJFzafiZ1Q9Hyh1EAau7-j68PFiBWHBz8KdwB0tHolwXps3HBHYHVUlkPtwE9gxSGKTFWrYNQTZaEZQyLcMoQTCqrRhoFFwyaTSfhZkfgEBZIbDWovlrLGXNrdk9OVRqCTnnNw

Dismissed M$ stamp, that was not a selectable option ;-)

i looked at the lenovo yoga 900: zowee, lenovo are unethical.  they've
> locked the BIOS so that you can't switch the NVMe SSD out of RAID mode
> (so you can't even install windows from a windows CD), they've refused
> refunds to people who claim mis-selling, they're ACTIVELY working to
> release new BIOS updates that prevent and prohibit people from
> installing linux, and they're scrambling to constantly censor reports
> and complaints on their forum.

I Thought that issue was only for the "Signature" certified ones and they
already caved to the shitstorm.

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/44694.html

http://support.lenovo.com/se/nl/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Yoga-Series/yoga-900-13isk2/downloads/DS119354

However Lenovo's direction is clearly becoming that of selling machine.
Whitout regard of what happens after sale. They've bough Motorola in hopes
to copy the succes recipe but their own rotten mobile department killed it
instantly.

My view on the succes of motorola: Bugetphone's with high enoug spec's and
updates! Now: Pricey phones with not enough specs to rival the rest in
price range and zero updates or very tardy.

You are not done with a product once it has left the store. When a product
leaves that store it becomes a showcase for your company. And that can be
good or bad!

And a good customer support does not fix that.