[Arm-netbook] IC for analog and digital buttons (EOMA-68)

Miguel Garcia gacuest at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 11:22:12 BST 2014

>> We could use two different IC's, but wouldn't using an appropriate microcontroller be a less complex solution?
>
>  software-wise, no.  with a microcontroller you have to a) write the
> firmware b) have two compilers c) upload the firmware d) design into
> the hardware a means to upload the firmware.
>
>> Some uc's in the ATtiny48 family have 6 ADCs and enough I/O pins.
>
>  ok yeah something like the arduino PICs would be extremely good, the
> infrastructure is amazing and they have support in sdcc.  i helped out
> on the OSMC project a loong while ago so i know that you *do not* need
> all the 168mbyte crud that comes with the arduino just to compile
> sub-8k applications! :)

There are 2 options for the controls:
- Use MCP23017 (for the 19 digital buttons) and MCP3004/8 (for the 6
ADCs, we must look if we can use the model finished in 4 or we have to
use the model finished in 8). This option is easier to program, but I
suppose that it's hard to design the PCB (it's 2 IC).
- Use a microcontroller like ATtiny48 (for the 19 digital buttons and
the 6 ADCs). This option is more difficult to program, but easier to
design the PCB (it is one IC).

What is your recommendation?

Thanks.