[Arm-netbook] IC for analog and digital buttons (EOMA-68)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Aug 4 12:14:18 BST 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Miguel Garcia <gacuest at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are 2 options for the controls:
> - Use MCP23017 (for the 19 digital buttons) and MCP3004/8 (for the 6
> ADCs, we must look if we can use the model finished in 4 or we have to
> use the model finished in 8). This option is easier to program, but I
> suppose that it's hard to design the PCB (it's 2 IC).

  it'll be pretty straightforward.  also you have the advantage that
you can separate the analog ADC IC from the digital one, separate the
ADC IC with some ground protection and you'll get less noise.

> - Use a microcontroller like ATtiny48 (for the 19 digital buttons and
> the 6 ADCs). This option is more difficult to program, but easier to
> design the PCB (it is one IC).

> What is your recommendation?

 honestly i'd go for the less difficult to program option, straight
away.  you're not on a huge cost-saving exercise so it's fine.