[Arm-netbook] A10 server dreamboard

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Wed May 30 08:32:30 BST 2012

On 30/05/12 09:13, Peter Steenbergen wrote:
> There are better ARM SoC's out there to be used as server option, but
> where the Allwinner might come in very handy is when the video chip
> encoding is working.

this thread was triggered by a conversation about inexpensive iMX6
quad-core blades. A10 was only suggested for mini
(embedded/industrial/home) servers but it seems the message got lost in
translation.

the documentation and sample code for encoding using the cedarx
libraries in available. we have .a files for android and armel ubuntu...
maybe Tom can get us armhf ones?

*my* idea for the olinuxino A10 *mini* server board was/is 1 type B USB
for gadget (including console) on the OTG, 2 normal USB2.0 hosts,
ethernet, 1GB of RAM, small nand, full SD, ttl serial console on pins,
esata and an expansion header for everything else. mountable on 4 standoffs.

> We can then end up in a very powerfull low energy transcoding machine to
> h.264. I imagine the chip can do one concurrent stream at the time, but
> then combining multiple boards into one machine gives the answer.
>
> Those transcoding machine are ussually very expensive and consume a shit
> load of energy. Their might be a nice nich market in that area for the
> Allwinner SoC

sounds nice :)