[Arm-netbook] start of allwinner a10 KiCAD component library

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 08:34:15 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:
> On 01/02/2012 12:35 AM, lkcl luke wrote:
>>> Pin numbers and signal labels are enough.
>>   directions / types?
> Nah, I'll fill them in.

 ok.  star.

>>> I can create an Orcad Capture symbol for the A10 from the most accurate
>>> specs. Including examining the traces from working tablets.
>>   very cool.
>>
>>   btw the git repository is created: url =
>> git+ssh://git@git.rhombus-tech.net/eoma.git
>>
>>   also, um.... would it be hopelessly naive to expect this to work as a
>> KiCAD Free Software project? :)
>>

> I've only played with KiCAD a bit. It's great for less complex and lower
> speed designs. It would take a lot of time and patience to layout DDR3
> lines and match them all to <0.020" of the clock lines length.

 hell i'll write the bloody program that needs to do that, in python,
if necessary.  ok, maybe just checking them, first, rather than doing
them automatically.

 btw, bari: you're talking to someone who created a 3D CAD/CAM drawing
of a car, using mm3d polygons only.  three thouuusand polygons.  i
don't have infinite patience, but i do appear to have quite a lot of
stupidity sometimes.  i stopped that and converted it to
python-openscad, wrote a spine-curve-based "sheet" generator and then
managed to cut things down to only about 300 points, with the sheet
generator filling in the gaps.

>The high
> end PCB tools automate much of this if you know how to properly
> configure them.

 yehhs.... that's the thing, isn't it? :)

 i kinda like the whole "bypass the complex tools" thing, use the
simple ones and write the necessary software to fill in the bits where
the simple tools are woefully inadequate.

 that way you get the best of both worlds.

 _however_.... if you've spent ooo years learning these complex tools
already then hell that'd be superb.

 i'm still tempted to try bludgeoning KiCAD into submission anyway,
just to see how far i get, but i'll do the AXP209 pinouts for you,
first.