[Arm-netbook] My framebuffer and X.org piss me off

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 30 22:35:00 BST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Hello Luke,
>
> Am 2010-03-30 19:56:13, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>>  ok.  so i take it that there's a PCI bus or something, then a
>> graphics chip that's VESA compatible?  if so, it should be dead
>> easy...
>
> Currenty I am reading the "AM35xx ARM Technical Reference Manual" and I
> am already at page 1233...

 *snort* :)

>>  then, documentation/fb/vesafb.txt says that you have to compile in
>> both vgacon and vesafb in NOT as modules.
>
> Right, that is AFAIK always true on ARM machines

 ahhh... no - on almost every single embedded ARM system i've seen,
the framebuffer has been memory-mapped.  there was _one_ device that i
encountered, where it was using an external ATI Radeon graphics chip,
we called it the w100, but even that, the accelerated things you
didn't really need, you could just write to the memory-mapped area.

 it's _not_ the same as having an _external_ vesa graphics card / IC
like you have on an x86 PC, connected via the PCI bus or AGP whatever
whatever.

 so, it's _very_ specific for the particular CPU.

 has anyone done a linux kernel framebuffer driver for this CPU before?

 if so, point me at the kernel source online somewhere and the .config
you're using ok?