[Arm-netbook] My framebuffer and X.org piss me off

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Tue Mar 30 21:15:38 BST 2010

Hello Luke,

>  ok.  so i take it that there's a PCI bus or something, then a
> graphics chip that's VESA compatible?  if so, it should be dead
> easy...

Currenty I am reading the "AM35xx ARM Technical Reference Manual" and I
am already at page 1233...

I should note that the Display is connected over the "FlatLink3D Module"
and use a 2 channel LVDS.

>  ok, reading Documentation/svga.txt which is very unclear: have you
> tried kernel config "vga=ask", then typing "scan" to see what modes
> are supported?

You mean configuring it from a serialport?

>  then, documentation/fb/vesafb.txt says that you have to compile in
> both vgacon and vesafb in NOT as modules.

Right, that is AFAIK always true on ARM machines

>  then, according to the table, 0x31B is 1280x1024 @ 16M so you should
> put "vga=795" on the kernel config.

But how can I set the Module to use in the Sitara?

This must be set from the Kernel and NOT X.org

I am searching the Kernel sources forward an back...
Do you know a Kernel Developer with clue about ARM, LCD and fbdev?

>  _but_ best to check first with "vga=ask" and then "scan" that will
> show you what is possible

I get only a black screen and I see nothing.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strasbourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193