[MayHeydays] Change of May Bank Holiday 2020

Announcements for May HeyDays mayheydays at lists.phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jun 11 12:06:58 BST 2019

Dear May Heydays/EIFF Supporter

With the news that the May 4th Bank Holiday in 2020 is being moved to
Friday May 8th, we would like to update you on the plans for the
festival.

The school is seeking to keep Monday 4th May as a holiday and have a
normal school day on Friday 8th. However, they will require the
permission of the local educational authorities to do this, which may
take some time - perhaps until the end of this school year.

We have advised the school that the input we have received so far from
performers and attendees is to stick to the original dates. Programme
re-scheduling would allow us to release performers having to work a
normal Monday.

We are thinking of offering a reduced season ticket price for Friday
to Sunday for any attendees who also might have to work Monday 4th.

We are discussing with the school the possibility of a reduced Monday
programme with fewer halls if indeed children would have to be in
school that day. Not ideal, but an option.

Catering on the Monday might be an issue and we are looking at options
for that.

Likewise indoor camping Sunday night would become an issue, as would
outdoor camping.

All of these are part of ongoing discussions. We are sure the school
will be as helpful as they can be to resolve issues.

One less preferred option would be to end the festival on Sunday
evening, which would have many implications: our cost/income
structure, bookings already made for hotels, etc.

In view of these current uncertainties we have decided to suspend our
sale of Super Early-bird tickets until we are clear on what we can
offer.

We know of two petitions to the government to keep May 4th as Bank
Holiday, with or without Friday 8th as well. We also know that some
supporters have written to their MPs on the matter (a draft could be
mailed to you if of interest). If you feel strongly enough about this
wholly unnecessary complication dumped on the nation by short-sighted
government action we can only suggest that you consider doing likewise.

Rest assured, this festival will go ahead and be as good and
comprehensive as we can make it!

Mecki
Director