[Arm-netbook] Site updates (was Re: Schematic and PCB layout CAD files)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jan 30 17:45:36 GMT 2022

On Monday, 17 June 2019 13:15:18 CET Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Monday 17. June 2019 08.40.22 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >
> > repo that i started 6 years ago:
> >  http://git.rhombus-tech.net/?p=eoma.git;a=summary
>
> I'll send you that, trying to remember the preferred form of the exported
> key this time. ;-)

Currently, the above repository is only available securely via the following
address:

https://git.hands.com/?p=eoma.git;a=summary

Meanwhile, I updated the wiki page describing PCMCIA/CardBus component
details:

https://rhombus-tech.net/pcmcia_sources/

(Thanks for Phil for fixing the wiki!)

One interesting thing that came up, given the conversation that was had over
two years ago, was this product and corresponding brochure about PC Card
casings and tooling:

https://www.ittcannon.com/products/starcard-snappy/

https://www.ittcannon.com/Core/medialibrary/ITTCannon/website/Literature/
Catalogs-Brochures/PC_Card_Final.pdf?ext=.pdf

On page 37 of the brochure, there are some pictures of the tools that would be
used to facilitate assembly and disassembly. I seem to remember complaints
about assembly, and I found some remarks on this list from back in 2017...

"the litkconn P/N 68F casework basically is a "total disassmbly" job.
it's a pain in the ass and takes several minutes."

http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2017-May/013788.html

In the crowdfunding updates, the awkwardness of assembly is also mentioned
here:

"Additionally, I am considering sending out the PCB and casework unassembled,
with full and precise assembly instructions for backers to follow. It’s not
hard: it just needs to be done very carefully. This will save a considerable
amount of time and money, as the cards casework will need hand-assembly
(quantity 1,000)."

https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/pcbs-and-components-have-been-ordered

So, I guess that with the above product family, one would want to invest in
that tooling as well as the actual products, just to do things as the
manufacturer intended. It is an interesting insight into part of the process
that goes into making the product.

I also had a bit more luck searching for product documentation today and also
found this:

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Hirose%20PDFs/NX1.pdf

The product itself is about to be discontinued, but there's an interesting
pictorial assembly guide including a picture of an assembly jig.

Paul