[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20, MD 1.7 severe Power Problems

Pablo Rath pablo at parobalth.org
Tue Aug 11 21:50:52 BST 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:47:51PM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:35 PM Pablo Rath <pablo at parobalth.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 11:37:41AM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > Ok. I have tried that now. Pressed "2" while applying power over USB-OTG
> > but an Allwinner USB FEL device is not found with 'sunxi-fel version'.
> > Also tried to boot with my known working µSD-Card but there is no output
> > on UART.
>
> hm ok there is one more "trick" - actually uploading (and executing)
> the spl bootloader followed by u-boot and everything else
> https://linux-sunxi.org/FEL/USBBoot#Boot_the_system_over_USB
>
> the old version, fel-boot, you had to first "run" then "execute".  the
> newer version (sunxi-fel) looks like it does run-and-execute.
>
> the first binary (the spl bootloader) fits into the 16k SRAM and until
> that's executed (and it initialises the PLL and DDR3) there's flat-out
> no chance of uploading anything at all into the upper areas of memory
> (0x42000000) which are in the DDR3 RAM area.
>
> i have in the past set up a linux kernel to convert the USB-OTG into a
> usbserial "gadget", and also a usbnet-compatible g_ether "gadget".
> the first way was successful in showing early console logs, and the
> second was enough to get a USB eth0 that i could ssh in over.

So just to make sure, your advice now is to work with the standalone
Computer Card and get usbserial or g_ether "gadget" working?
I have used (but not set up) g_ether "gadget" with ssh before and I have already
read about usbserial (seems well documented on linux-sunxi wiki) so I
think I will manage.

Pablo