[Arm-netbook] travelling

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Oct 29 23:03:16 GMT 2019

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019, 22:08 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Apologies I am currently travelling and also getting set up to go to
> Costa
> > Rica to meet TEC University, there are a couple other really critical eco
> > conscious projects other that the processor and the EOMA68 one that need
> > get kicked into high gear.
> >

> No problem. just don't fall for the trap of doing too many things to do any
> of them effectively. :)

Got really nice team this time. Been planning for about 12 years.

> Safe travels.
>
> These involve transportation: both the vehicles themselves, as well as the
> > powertrain.  I am presently working hard to do the CAD Model on a
> variable
> > compression ratio multifuel SIMPLE and libre engine with extremely high
> > efficiency, as well as kickstart an ebike conversion project that will
> > dovetail into a "mobile battery and distributed internet franchise".
> >

> Neat!

And (surpriise) the processor will end up in the lithium battery packs, and
so will an EOMA68 Card

> The multifuel engine is intended for a TRIBRID drivetrain, involving
> > electrolysis during braking instead of damaging batteries (yes, regen
> > damages batteries) then injecting the mixed hydrogen and oxygen into the
> > engine.
> >

> I think you may run into issues with needing a massive electrolysis cell to
> absorb the full braking power, since electrolysis needs low current/area in
> order to not waste a lot of power on overpotential or damage the
> electrodes.

Correct! Bill Ross is the inventor of exactly that. He uses Potassium
Hydroxide as a catalyst, and nickel plates with 0.004 in clearance, 2.5v @
50 A and you get enough hydrogen to add to a family sized car.

> You may want to check out using supercapacitors instead, as a temporary
> energy storage mechanism,

No, because the voltage varies with current, naking it extremely difficult,
electronically, to deliver the power back.

What the supercapacitors *are* good for is fronting on the batteey packs,
directly at the controller.

The decreased resistance results in power being first delivered *from the
capacitor* which protects the battery from high load.

> since they have a very high power rating (in the
> range of 1000x batteries) due to not being based on a chemical reaction.
> additionally, supercapacitors don't need additional plumbing and don't need
> water refills. they also can skip the big energy loss of
> internal-combustion engines which are usually less than 50% efficient.

Funny you should mention that. Google 6 stroke engine wikipedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovhYvKpFRQ

Patents from 1880 and 1921 show that water flashing to steam when injected
at TDC will not only cool the cylinder but will actually do "work".

As efficiency is a direct product of temperature differentials, the 2 extra
strokes can result in a whopping FORTY PERCENT efficiency improvement.

The processor and EOMA68 have been part of a long term strategy that is
> > just about to take off. However obviously I cannot do everything so have
> > had to stop technical work on the processor whilst getting the engine etc
> > up and running.
> >

> Ok, hopefully you will be available to help out with some of the more
> important decisions such as deciding if we should switch to Power or not.

Of course.

> The purpose of going to TEC University is to see if they are willing to
> > handle some of the projects.
> >

> that would be nice

Yeh we need extra (motivated) people.

Funnily enough, the Intel building in Costa Rica happens to be empty at the
moment... :)

L.

--
---