[Arm-netbook] eoma68 a20 card production

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jun 21 19:47:49 BST 2019

On Saturday, June 22, 2019, Alexander Ross <maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me>
wrote:

> On 21/06/2019 4:13 pm, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:> On Friday,
> June 21, 2019, Alexander Ross <maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me>
> > wrote:
> >> For me, Posts like these are far better than a date :)
> >>
> > The irony is that the updates become a canonical list of Everything That
> > Could Go Wrong on an ooen hardware project...
> also shows how your one of the few projects to get a lot of things right:
>
> *Is possible to devolop, make stuff in china. Without years of
> experience. By being in china.

This is a really funny summary, to be fair to purism they are now a Benefit
Corp, and they had some influence with Intel, their requests for switching
off the ME by default actually resulted in internal buzz around a "ME-less
BIOS".

Then the "NSA off switch" was discovered and they were able to do FW BIOS
patches for their products, without Intel's help, permission or involvement.

Even as far back as 2011 I could have compromised, released some SBC
design, made some cash, established a business, and funded EOMA68 with it.

Or made some other compromise, done something a la fairphone or etc etc and
got up and running that way.

The risk was, getting sidetracked by running such a business, instead of
focussing on EOMA68.

Or, being criticised for compromising, undermining the whole purpose of the
exercise.

What can you do, eh?

L.

--