[Arm-netbook] RK3399

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Jan 23 01:34:51 GMT 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 1:26 AM, zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:

>>  in other words: when you add up the amount of time and effort
>> proposed to be spent, and convert it to an actual dollar amount, i
>> estimate that it would come to an amount that would EASILY fund the
>> development of an entirely new type of computer.
>>
>>  one that can be designed to be repaired, upgraded, respect software
>> freedom and not end up in landfill.
>>
>>  ... .yeh?
> You are correct, and I wish I had realized this a lot sooner.  My bad...

 yyehh i've been down this evaluation path a number of times now on
this list, with different groups of people at different times.  it...
kinda puts a dampener on peoples' enthusiasm for doing home-grown
"hackaday" style projects... but... hackaday projects are for people
to learn (and teach other people) electronics.  this project is
*specifically* about reducing *world-wide* e-waste on a *massive*
scale by making desirable long-term upgradeable computing appliances,
thus keeping stuff out of landfill as long as possible... and that
*has* to be done not by disassembling pre-existing deeply flawed
"Designed for Obsolescence and Manufacture" products but by going
*right* back to the very source of the problem.

 totally different approach that's really hard for some people to
understand or accept, the scale is about a hundred thousand times
larger than they're able to get their minds around.