[Arm-netbook] RK3399

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jan 22 23:55:51 GMT 2018

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 4:47 PM, Pičugins Arsenijs <crimier at yandex.ru> wrote:

> I have some EEE PCs (2 working and 2 spares), and I
> absolutely love them,

 an eeepc would be a much better base than a thinkpad as it stays away
from the [extremely resource-starved] market of replacing the bios in
the libre community, i.e. doesn't gut machines that would otherwise be
kept in circulation (and out of landfill) far longer by being in the
hands of a responsible libre-software supporter.

 you will learn a lot from the task that you envision, arsenijs: if
the reverse-engineering of the eeepc is that far along it takes care
of many of the tasks on the list and yes, 6 months would not be an
unreasonable estimate for the remainder.

 please however be under no illusion that, even at the end of all that
effort, which if well-documented will be extremely valuable in its own
right and on its own merit, you are still presenting people with the
task of *hand-disassembling* a pre-existing system, that the number of
people who will be interested to do so will be at most 100 in the
world, and that bang-per-buck wise the effort spent has an extremely
low *actual* environmental benefit compared to designing and building
a system that's *actually* intented - from the start - to be
eco-conscious.