[Arm-netbook] Huge RAM requirements (was: What do 1, 000 EOMA68-A20 PCBs look like?)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Dec 12 18:39:15 GMT 2018

On Sunday 9. December 2018 05.07.51 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 7:54 PM zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:
> > Any plans to use rk3399 for a 2nd revision of the eoma68 standard? or
> > any alternative arm processor? Since risc-v is maybe 3+ years out of the
> > way?
>
>  yes.  bear in mind it's around USD $5k-10k per design effort.  i
> *may* be able to recover the RK3288 PCB i did.  the RK3399 would be
> nicer.

Although it's not a 64-bit CPU and is MIPS-based not ARM-based, wasn't the
JZ4775 board almost done? And didn't it have 2GB RAM already, before the A20
2GB RAM (and HDMI) rework effort? Of course there is the software distribution
issue (if you want FSF endorsement), but there seems to be some demand for
similar products.

I follow the Dingoonity scene at a distance and although there is plenty of
gadget chasing - people seem to throw themselves at random handhelds with poor
screens and obsolete JZ variants - there are some that still wonder about
successors to the GCW-Zero handheld or even getting one of the original ones,
particularly as it seems that not everyone managed to receive one in that
campaign. The enthusiasm is presumably something to do with MIPS-based stuff
being used in various consoles of a certain era.

Paul