[Arm-netbook] Reframing The Holy War

doark at mail.com doark at mail.com
Tue Dec 11 17:44:26 GMT 2018

On Sun, 09 Dec 2018 22:38:32 -0500
Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > In fact, demanding and ensuring complete control over the technologies
> > we use is a pragmatic and entirely justified strategy for anyone who
> > cares about their data, their computing capabilities, and even their
> > quality of life.
>
> I think it goes much further than that: the control
> Apple/Google/Facebook/... have over a large proportion of devices can
> give them sufficient leverage to make it possible for them to control
> you as well even if you don't use their services (e.g. by them arranging
> to have people elected which in turn introduce legislation or executive
> orders that impact you).
>
> You might argue we're not there yet, but the Cambridge Analytica affair
> makes it pretty obvious that it's a real possibility.
>

>         Stefan

Everyone remembers CA, but I remember when the local news (ABC,NBC,
someone), reported on Obama doing the same thing. I have not watched
through all the reporting on youtube to locate the segment (and I did not
have internet access back then, so no chance of Conservative talk
show/news room poisoning), so I did a quick search:
https://nypost.com/2018/03/20/obamas-former-media-director-said-facebook-was-once-on-our-side/
It is wholly cited.
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/mar/22/meghan-mccain/comparing-facebook-data-use-obama-cambridge-analyt/
As is this one.

Together they paint a picture a lot larger than CA and the Republican
party, a lot larger than Obama and the Democratic party.

Here are some more:
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/07/02/2057256/google-allows-outside-app-developers-to-read-peoples-gmails-says-report
https://www.wired.com/story/our-minds-have-been-hijacked-by-our-phones-tristan-harris-wants-to-rescue-them/
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/05/smartphone-addiction-silicon-valley-dystopia
A poor excuse:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/26/opinions/data-company-spying-opinion-schneier/index.html
Just how far it has gone:
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/03/23/1811230/my-cow-game-extracted-your-facebook-data

When will the world wake up?
It's not just A, it's A and B through Z!

Sincerely,
David