[Arm-netbook] riki200 v3 first print: success

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Sep 20 09:26:41 BST 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

>>  yep he recommended to the arduino package maintainer that the actual
>> core parts not be glommed together with a runtime and IDE and
>> everything else.
>
> Well, I reacted badly to the Java UI (because it was ludicrously broken
> under tiling window managers --

 ohh that's right.  you use xmonad.  written in 1200 lines of haskell
if i recall.  fricking awesome and scary at the same time :)

> the menu required you to click the
> screen elsewhere to get anywhere, and my screen wasn't wide enough to
> click anything on the sub-menus ;-) ), and noticed that it was actually
> possible to use a Makefile, and that there were several Makefiles in
> circulation, so chose what looked to be the most maintained one, and
> suggested that the author pick up the nice features in the other ones,
> and then stuck that together as the arduino-core package.

 cool!

 yyyeah... have you noticed btw that the way they do "finding of
libraries" is... to indiscriminately extend make's "VPATH".  all and
any headers, object files, modules, executables... *all* of those are
searched for in *every single one* of the paths.

 if you happen to have the same filename somewhere anywhere in those
paths, you're hosed.

 it's a total global namespace .... nightmare.  nnnngh!  whyyyy do
they doo thiiiiis!

> As it happens, I fired up my arduino for the first time since doing the
> arduino-core uploads last week -- My 5 year old daughter and I are
> knocking up something to drive some LEDs and a motor in order to make
> her IKEA kitchen have a working turntable in the microwave, and a blue
> LED to simulate water coming out of the tap, etc.

 ha, cool!  yeah i bought something called a "Sparki" robot for me and
lilyana to play with.  which was for about... 2 days.  the GUI on that
however i have to say is extremely cool.  it's block-based like a
jigsaw, and it auto-generates actual code which you can then look at
to see if it does what you expected.

>>  http://reprap.org/wiki/RD3D/1.0
>
> Cool :-)

 yeah.  just added a 4th MOSFET (2 fans, 1 extruder, 1 heater or 2
extruders, 1 fan, 1 heater), an I2C EEPROM, and whoops added in a 4th
endstop (X, Y, Z, Z-probe - Z-probe veeery important if you want to do
auto-bed-levelling... *sigh*...)

 but i have to say, it is completely insane that i've been driven to
design and have manufactured my own 3D printing PCB.

 so i had to add that last section in order to explain it - mostly
it's for the crowd-funding people who might be going, "wtf???"

> BTW you called it 'R3D3' in the penultimate paragraph.

 ah good call, thx phil.