[Arm-netbook] Retrfit a Nokia and KiCad fun

Alan Carvalho de Assis acassis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 14:16:32 BST 2017

Hi Mike,

On 9/15/17, mike.valk at gmail.com <mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:
> https://hackaday.com/2017/09/12/hackaday-prize-entry-retrofit-a-nokia/
> https://hackaday.io/project/21263-nokia-3210-retro-fit-board
>
> Quote from the project log:
> "With the patched I submitted you can turn KiCad into a 'I know what I
> am doing' mode. Which meas you can place any type of via anywhere. You
> should not do it though. Vias are pretty well constraint by the
> manufacturer of the board. Since KiCad does not know of any layer
> thickness, production technologies and such it restricts to what is a
> sensible lowest common denominator."
>
> Hmm so KiCad does not have a "PCB manufacturer constraints" input? How
> handy... NOT

Of course it has. But you need to realize that even Gerber doesn't
have advanced information you need for more complex designs (i.e PCB
dozens of layers with different type of impedance, etc). For that you
need an EDA with IPC-2581 support that even Eagle (AFAIK) doesn't have
and many other commercial EDAs also don't.

BR,

Alan