[Arm-netbook] mali gpu reverse engineering lkcl may ignore

doark at mail.com doark at mail.com
Tue May 30 21:48:36 BST 2017

On Mon, 22 May 2017 12:05:28 +0200
"mike.valk at gmail.com" <mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Because I deleted a previously email about this subject, I start a new
> > email.
> > Info. Lkcl said, he is not in favor of reverse engineering a mali gpu.
> > Because it is about 150000eu and new gpus will emerge during the
> > reverse engineering and the outcome is uncertain.
> >
> > I agree on his arguments.
>
> I assume you do not agree.
>
> > 150000eu is a crowd funding of 30000 people, each 5eu. I would pay an
> > extra 5eu to be able to buy a source code computer.
> >

> The issue with revese engineering the MALI gpu's is not justs about
> money. ARM ltd. actively Seeks and destroys attempts on a OSS mail
> driver.
>
> So that money needed is not only going to coding but is probably also
> needed for legel fees and marketing against the smear and laster
> campaign.
>
> They have already made one person's life very difficult:
> http://libv.livejournal.com/

I'd do it in a heart beat in spite of the evil people out there if I had
the skills.

Incidentally, couldn't you do this in an mostly automated fashion?
I mean:
1. Have computer program send bits to GPU
2. Have same program read bits from EDP (or whatever), to determine
   result and time spend on task.
4. Have another program create a spread sheet for the in-out-time info
   and stats.
3. Have developer look at these and code.

> > I do not know if 30000 people are interested or if they can agree on
> > one board.
> >

> But freeing MALI would help a lot of devices out there. So I'd trough in
> some bucks. RE'ing MALI would not be for just one board.

Agreed. It must be for all boards and support opengl, opencl, vulkan.

> > You cannot get the mali source code faster, if you put more people on
> > it?
>
> Finding the right minds and right amount of them working on the same
> thing is a hard equation.
>
> You could add me to that team but my skills would be of limited use.
> Adding someone of the same skill set would probably be even less
> effective.
>
> So more money or more people is not the solutions. The right people and
> the right amount is needed.

Well, I'd put ten dollars to a campaign like this without a HW reward.
I'm assuming that beings that there are so many Mali GPUs and hacker
boards out there that other people would also be very interested in this.
What would I need to know to do this?
Quick, point me to the books!
No, really, I would do such a thing, I don't have a lot to loose, though
for free I'd be taking my time...
But still, I'd need an education.

Thanks,
David