[Arm-netbook] Totally derailed topic

zap zapper at openmailbox.org
Wed May 10 20:02:06 BST 2017

On 05/10/2017 02:23 PM, Bill Kontos wrote:

> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net <mailto:lkcl at lkcl.net>> wrote:
>

>      now that i think about it, i believe i heard of something about 20
>     years ago called the humanist society (or something like that).
>     apparently they live their lives according to a really quite [humane]
>     wonderful "code"... just without the bits about "god" attached.
>
>      so i'd say definitively yes, you can... it's just that you'd have to
>     choose to do so, and that can be really tough, to research, assess and
>     then make the decision to adhere to a particular code.  it means
>     making changes in your life which might cost you friends, your job
>     (because the company asks you to do something that is against your
>     newly-chosen "code")...
>

> Exactly this. I always prefer to do something by choice. Being
> manipulated is the one thing that I hate the most in life. But this
> takes time, and I have come to a very similar conclusion to this
> society you are talking about, that following 95% of the Christian
> ethics is a good idea because it makes for the most benefit for the
> society as a total. But I find having to believe that god exists and
> he will punish me for not following these ethics in order to be able
> follow them utterly pointless.

Well, I would say its not about, following these ethics perfectly, it is
impossible to do so.

I would say the act of trying to be a good person and being faithful to
him for the goodness he gives you is more important than always obeying
especially if your heart is far from him.  That's just my thought.

Punishment in particular though is something he gives to arrogant people
who defy him while pretending to obey.

the current conservative party in America is an example of the pharisees
from the bible.

They have nothing to look forward to that's a fact. Though they reject
such possibilities in their heart bitterly and cling to their evil thoughts.

To be honest, even atheists have a better chance of getting into heaven
than those false teachers.

Though both sides if they don't repent at some point, are lost.

This is my understanding of what hell is for. Not for the average
person, but for those who pretend they are good and really are the
opposite.  to sum it up, hypocrisy.

Life is a challenge but hypocrisy is unneeded.