[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 card based on NXP i.MX7 (work in progress)

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Wed May 10 09:02:42 BST 2017

> Hi everybody,
>
> Since this is my first post on this list, please allow me to get off my
> chest a few things:
>
> - huge thanks to Luke for getting this project started
> - me = funding a PFY laptop, eagerly awaiting for it to arrive ;-)
> - me = working at a research institute, focused on hardware security
>
> As a private individual but also as at work, having an EOMA68 card based
> on an NXP i.MX7 would be very useful. It is a powerful processor with a
> heterogeneous architecture (2x A7, 1x M4) which makes it an interesting
> choice for energy-limited applications (M4 can turn off/on A7) and
> scenarios where safety/security are important (M4 can do real-time aside
> from workload on A7).
>
> The i.MX7 has many useful security features (crypto accelerators,
> high-assurance boot, TrustZone, etc.).
>
> An initial check with the EOMA68 infrastructure indicates compatibility.
>
> My personal goals with this are as follows:
> - Create an EOMA68 card with i.MX7 to complement my research (in fact, I
> simply need a good demo for the stuff I'm doing)
> - Provide the community an even better microprocessor card
> - Have a complex PCB project to learn along the way (I did PCB designs
> beforehand but never that complex)

Looks like a good objective. The i.MX display pipeline is reasonably
reverse engineered to have a full open open source experience.

Reading this list I guess you'll need a few things before you start:
1. Check is the i.MX7 fits the powerprofile
2. Find a reference design. NDA free
3. Check if the i.MX7 has all required outputs. Or needs converter IC's