[Arm-netbook] Gigabytes for tabs despite power down.

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Sun Jun 25 13:35:19 BST 2017

On 2017-06-25 07:28 -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 09:50:06PM -0400, Christopher Havel wrote:
> > In my experience, there are few things in life slower than Chrome/Chromium
> > after restoring a previous session...
>
> I use firefox.  It seems to do lazy restoration of tabs, which makes it
> somewhat more performant.

Indeed. I have significant experience of this as I operate the same
way as Luke, so have hundreds of tabs in 50-odd windows at any one
time.

> I've noticed that when it gets slow, doing killall firefox-esr and the
> restarting it does wonders for speed.  Rumour has it that firefox never
> releases storage for a deleted tab, causing it to bloat.

My firefox gets noticeably slow after a few days, and extremely slow
after 10 or 20 with lots of 10-second 'hangs'. I have spent some time
trying to find out what is going on, collecting debug logs, and have
determined that it is the garbage-collection action which makes it
just do nothing for several seconds. Something is making memory
horrible fragmented and/or just using it up steadily and not giving it
back, and it just takes longer and longer to try and collect
garbage. I have not yet determined which component is doing this. I
can say that for most people (who have a lot of pages open) switching
from adblock plus to ublock origin will save stonking amounts of
memory and make things perform rather better, just because of the way
they work.

> I should try Chromium sometime.  Chrome itself is no longer supported on
> 32-bit Linux.

I have not used chromium enough to determine if it better in this
'slowdown' regard.

> I hate the way there aren't any cross-browser bookmarks.  Another form
> of lock-in.

If you are OK with remote bookmarks then you can use them from both
chromium and firefox (e.g. google bookmarks), and it's quite easy to
transfer them in either direction, but I don't know of a local, open,
bookmark-store mechanism.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/