[Arm-netbook] mailing list etiquette

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jun 19 17:36:08 BST 2017

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 5:08 PM, zap <calmstorm at posteo.de> wrote:

>>> No. I maintain that I prefer an email to display all previous
>> No doubt you do, but this is a community. “Logic clearly dictates that
>> the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” - Spock
>>
>> Luke - I would be grateful if you could reduce the members on this
>> list to those who can follow the RFC.
>
> I will follow the rules now if you want, I just didn't know what they
> all were. That's all.

 no problem zap.

 btw zap also didn't remove extraneous context (in his last message to
the list) so i asked him also to respect context-cutting (aka
"trimming"):

 http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php#toppost

 Posting a "me too" comment at the bottom of a 100+ line message is no
better because people have to scroll all the way down through 100+
lines they've already read in order to see your one-liner. One word
comes to mind for that: frustrating.

The generally accepted "right way" of doing things is called "inline
posting", whereby you insert your comments straight after that on
which you are commenting, having stripped unnecessary text from the
original quoted text. The end result is something which makes much
more sense because it reads like a conversation.

> I should only keep previous messages that are relevant right?

previous *bits* of a message that are relevant: it's called "trimming".

thanks for agreeing to follow the rules.

ron: if zap can agree immediately once he understands that it's
inconveniencing people, is there a good reason (which benefits the
project) why you do not wish to?