[Arm-netbook] Fwd: [trinity-devel] TDE Fundraiser

Neil Jansen njansen1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 02:55:34 BST 2017

The two big ones are xcb (https://xcb.freedesktop.org/) and xlib (
https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/)

> There's no reason other systems shouldn't be built directly on the X
toolkit.

Many tiling window managers (http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=i3-gaps) do exactly
that.  They build directly on top of xlib or xcb, and they're freaking
awesome.  I'm REALLY surprised that nobody has mentioned any of the popular
tiling window managers like i3 in this thread.  They're so lightweight and
usable, why would you need Gnome or KDE?

> And the problems with GTK is that the developers have mpved on to another
major
> release that, I'm told, isn't very compatible and old code is dying.
> It's another of the systems that have been forked.  I don't know how well
the
> old release is being maintained.

Look at some of the tiling window managers: i3, bspwm, xmonad are 3 popular
ones.  If you hate gnome and you hate KDE, these are all worth a look.