[Arm-netbook] Fwd: [trinity-devel] TDE Fundraiser

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Jun 13 02:30:51 BST 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 10:27:47PM -0400, David Niklas wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 22:50:20 +0100
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Bill Kontos <vkontogpls at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 12:22 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> > > <lkcl at lkcl.net
> > >
> <snip>
> > > Is there any specific reasons as to why this is better ?
> >
> > They're not based on gnome (which in turn is based on GTK).  that
> > alone is good enough reason.
>
> And GTK is bad because?
> If I were to write a graphical app in C wouldn't I *have* to use GTK?

No.  GTK is the Gimp toolkit, originally written for the GNU image manipulation
program.

It uses (presumably) the X toolkit (I don't kow its name), which is the
low-level interface to sending and receiving the network packets for the X
protocol with the ICCC -- the inter-client communications conventions, which
goern communicataions with a window manager.  (I don't know how much of this
is now obsolete i ws using X in the 80's, and I gather it at least hs remained
more or less compatible; there's a lot less flexibility in X nowadays, as far
as I cana tell)

There's no reason other systems shouldn't be built directly on the X toolkit.

Qt, is presumably another such system.

And the problems with GTK is that the developers have mpved on to another major
release that, I'm told, isn't very compatible and old code is dying.
It's another of the systems that have been forked.  I don't know how well the
old release is being maintained.

-- hendrik