[Arm-netbook] The dream of Ara

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jan 13 08:11:39 GMT 2017

---

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 7:55 AM, mike.valk at gmail.com
<mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:

>> ---
>> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Wolfgang Romey <hier at wolfgangromey.de>
>> wrote:
>> > I think my FairPhone 2, which I own for a month, is some kind of a
>> > modular
>> > smartphone.
>>
>>  it's not: they lied.
>

> If they're intentions were honest it's not a lie. It's just being naive.

 no, it's called lying.  or, at best, deceptive marketing.

> But all most parts are, user, replaceable. Which indeed does not make it
> modular, but serviceable.

 correct.

 if it was a truly modular design, the parts would snap or slide-lock
apart in some fashion, there would be a hardware and software standard
published, and the parts would be re-useble in future designs and they
would have PUBLISHED SOME INDICATION OF THEIR EXISTENCE already.

 so it's total horseshit and they know it.  they're not stupid: they
had enough people on their forums talk about dave hakkan's phonebloks
concept for them to have heard the word "modular" enough times.

> The biggest issue is that they've tied the modem and SIM directly to the
> rest of the system. It's a cheap decision. Which most manufactures have done
> unfortunately. [1]

 i told them that it's easy to get hold of a cheap 3G modem containing
a qualcomm MSM chipset.  they ceased communication shortly afterwards.