[Arm-netbook] The dream of Ara

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:55:17 GMT 2017

> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Wolfgang Romey <hier at wolfgangromey.de>
> wrote:
> > I think my FairPhone 2, which I own for a month, is some kind of a
> modular
> > smartphone.
>
>  it's not: they lied.

If they're intentions were honest it's not a lie. It's just being naive.

But all most parts are, user, replaceable. Which indeed does not make it
modular, but serviceable.

If there is a true lie, I'd like to hear about it.

> > I use it with the FairPhone Open Os, which is Google free. Of
> > course I could root it without problems. I know (luke) that it is not
> real
> > free hardware and comes with blobs.
>
>  you mean, "it comes with software from one of THE most unethical
> companies in the world that is undergoing court cases for
> anti-competitive practices

That's true for most companies. BTW which company are we talking about.
Farphone1: Mediatek SoC
Faiphone2: Quallcomm snapdragon SoC

, where we KNOW that they just roll over and
> give direct access, through their OS, *AT RUNTIME*, to allow arbitrary
> code-execution OVER THE AIR without your knowledge, EVEN IF THE DEVICE
> IS POWERED DOWN?"

Which is true for every GSM modem and SIM card, mandated by the GSM network
operators and probably, directly or indirectly, some government agency's.

The biggest issue is that they've tied the modem and SIM directly to the
rest of the system. It's a cheap decision. Which most manufactures have
done unfortunately. [1]

[1]http://neo900.org/news/about-the-asn1-vulnerability