[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 In A Intel Card World?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jan 12 10:06:16 GMT 2017

---

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 09:39:06AM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
>>  so there's lots of flexibility: any one SoC needs to comply with the
>> absolute bare minimum, so that if people *really want* to pay only $11
>> for a Card they can, and if they want better they can pay $150 for an
>> RK3288 with 4GB RAM and 32GB ultra-fast eMMC.
>
> What assurance can we give the technically uninterested end user that the $11
> card that works with their $30 toaster will not blow up their $1000 TV when
> their 6 year old swaps the cards ? I don't care if it does not work in the TV,
> but the consumer will be upset if it draws too much power (or something) and
> damages the TV.

 it won't receive Cerfitication if it hasn't been tested.
Certification will REQUIRE that the manufacturer provide a number of
working samples, so that over the years the Certification Company can
do a full matrix of tests as each new product (on either side of the
standard) comes along.

 if any third party fails to comply with the standard (thus bringing
it into disrepute by damaging third party products), the Certification
Mark is there to be able to jump on them with a ton of bricks, china
or no china.