[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 In A Intel Card World?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 10:22:45 GMT 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:47:27PM +0300, Allan Mwenda wrote:
>    Its not really a problem, since the funds are basically from strong
>    arming manufacturers with "royalties" and EOMA68 so far has been an
>    ethical project. Indeed a logo is a brilliant idea, and use of it only

>    Indeed a logo is a brilliant idea, and use of it only
>    by certified products would be excellent.

OK: anyone know of an artist type who could come up with a few ideas ?

>    I think also you should be
>    prepared for Chinese clones, they'll definitely happen, the question is
>    whether you'll make it easy for them to be proper ones.

Hmmm: I suspect that we are thinking about Chinese clones (Cc) from just one point of view.

Ours (well, mine at least) is: do they conform to the various licences and provide
source as required under the GPL, etc ?

There are much more important considerations: do the Cc conform to the
electrical/... specs ? If they do not then there might be a risk to human life.
Consider one that draws too much power or over heats and thus causes a fire. We
have all seen footage of exploding 'phone chargers. Less dramatic problems could
damage consumer equipment.

If the Ccs decide that they like EOMA68 and flood the market with sub standard
kit then the good name of EOMA68 could become tarnished. Once Joe Public
perception becomes ''EOMA68 == crap/dangerous'' then it becomes dead or niche.

Thus: certification is good and a logo/trademark would help the various consumer
protection bodies around the world to help protect the public -- and so,
vicariously, us.

We want to make it easy/cheap for the good guys while making it clear who the
bad Ccs are.

I am reminded of the firefox/iceweasle spat:

https://lwn.net/Articles/676799/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/policy/

--
Alain Williams