[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 In A Intel Card World?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 09:15:32 GMT 2017

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:50:24AM +0300, Allan Mwenda wrote:
> Indeed there is no need for royalties, and the lack of it is worth advertising and will grab attention.
> I also think you should advertise the low power of the standard that's a big plus.

Which exposes one of the problems that Open Source/Spec/... projects have
compared to Closed ones. Things like royalties do provide cash for things like
marketing.

How about adding to certification a marketing/... 'requirement'? Something
about prominence on packaging/web-site/... of EOMA68. This would help the non
technical public recognise what they were buying and give confidence that it
would work with their existing kit.

The cost of this to vendors will be minimal and will not be a barrier to true
Open projects.

One other thing that would help with this is an 'official' logo that
certification would permit use of. Think the USB one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB_Icon.svg

Discuss.

--
Alain Williams