[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 / Libre RISC-V team financing

ronwirring at Safe-mail.net ronwirring at Safe-mail.net
Sat Dec 30 10:01:29 GMT 2017

-------- Original Message --------
From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
Apparently from: arm-netbook-bounces at lists.phcomp.co.uk
To: Linux on small ARM machines <arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk>
Subject: [Arm-netbook] EOMA68 / Libre RISC-V team financing
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 09:59:04 +0000

On the current pc card situation I have some remarks.
Primarily directed at other pc card supporters.
I got the pc card after making some assessments.
Did I believe it was a scam, no. Did I believe the pc card
had a chance of getting made, yes. Did I believe
the pc card enterprise could shipwreck, yes. If so I
decided lkcl would not hear a word for it from me.
Of course I only made such decision because to
me the pc card's price is negligible.
If beneficial to lkcl, he can erase me from the
shipping list and no refund. I ask others to do the same.
I think lkcl has done more than one can expect. He
likely has gathered experiences and
knowledge about libre hardware, he
can use moving forward.
If lkcl can contribute to the riscv development,
he rather should do that, than potter
on an arm cpu, none of us like.
What I want to avoid is, that lkcl on
economic reasons gets discouraged and jammed.

I know the following is not achievable. I say it anyway.
One option is, lkcl sets a monthly required amount of
money for the next 6 months. I am prepared to pay
lkcl 5usd a month. But only if I know lkcl gets the
required sum every month. 5Usd is cheap, I
know. If you want to pay more do it.

To me this matter is another prove of libre software
people not being streamlined. Libre software
people are up against companies like intel and
amd. Libre software people cannot expect to
achieve results if the matter is not better organized.
Among libre software people there should be a
system of fellowships enabling persons to work
on free software. No it does not have to
be lkcl. But such system should be created.
How should it be founded?