[Arm-netbook] HDMI High-Frequency Layout: Recommendations

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Aug 30 11:01:45 BST 2017

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Richard Wilbur
<richard.wilbur at gmail.com> wrote:

>> actually it just occurred to me that i could move the HXT?P vias over
>> by another.... 10-15 mil or so, which would mean that the
>> corresponding HXT?N traces would be able to go straight (directly
>> south) instead of SW, S then SE.
>
> Which is an elegant way of doing some intra-pair (within the pair)
> skew compensation--by avoiding some the sources of skew
> to begin with.  Sounds like a fine idea!

 mrhm grumble i have to redo those nice length-matchings.... agaaainn aaargh :)

>> or... i _could_ just put in a copper-to-diffpair Design Rule of "15
>> mil" clearance - that would keep the flood-fill away.
>
> I think this is the most maintainable solution.

 ok attached is the result of doing that.  layer 1 just after the SoC
the "surround" on the vias is well over 15mil away, on *all* layers...
including GND.  all VIAs are now avoided by the specified 15mil.

 ... seems a bit much, to me....

> […]
>> ... i'm getting used to it....
>
> "Practice makes easy."
>
> […]
>> marked in this image, i was planning to remove the GND traces that
>> are marked with red dots.... but only after all's done because
>> currently they help keep the inter-pair separation.
>>
>> does that sound sensible?
>
> Eminently so!

 awesome.