[Arm-netbook] HDMI High-Frequency Layout: Recommendations

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 07:59:06 BST 2017

 I have a question about one of the traces:  In the layout picture it appears that something resembling a via coincides with HTX1P following the second wiggle after the trace turns NE.  If it is a via, what is it doing there?  If not, what is it?

I would recommend if you want to be able to solder or desolder by hand the μHDMI connector to/from the board that you use thermal relief (multiple spokes emanating from the land) when connecting ACIN-5V to pin 19.  On the other hand, this solid layout does make a lower impedance connection for power and should work fine in the surface-mount oven for soldering as long as you have solder resist covering the trace outside the ESD land for pin 19.

Of course, hopefully you never have need of soldering or desoldering the μHDMI connector by hand.  Looks best left to the oven.