[Arm-netbook] microdesktop casework as DXF files for laser-cutting

zap zapper at openmailbox.org
Sun Apr 2 22:51:04 BST 2017

On 04/02/2017 04:55 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> [...]
>>> This is not the official project repository.
>> I fail to see how they could bring "disrepute" to it.since these files were
>> clearly *PERSONAL* and *NON-ASSOCIATED TO THE OFFICIAL PROJECT*.
> norman, i haven't checked if you're still subscribed to the list, but
> if you'd not published that link to the list, and had only discussed
> it in private email directly with other people, i would not have known
> and, on a random-chance discovery six to twelve months from now would
> probably have grumbled a bit, privately, but would have gone,
> "rhhm.... ok nothing to stress about, no impact on the reputation of
> the project, time to move along switfly".
>
>  fact is: we have something like 50% of the 2,500 backers supporting
> this project because they believe in libre ethics, and i am also
> answerable to the FSF for the RYF Certification (josh gay explained it
> to me that RYF Certification effectively means placing responsibility
> for the FSF's reputation into the hands of other people, which is not
> something they do lightly).
>
>  in the next update i was going to say, "here you can see where the
> files are being developed, normand has been kindly assisting, you can
> help him out as well if you like, by joining the list, he's operating
> from a libre-hosted repository, thus demonstrating a continued
> committment to the principles that you backed the project for with
> your money".
>
>  now, if any one of those libre backers had noticed it was a github
> repository, far from wishing to actively pitch in they would instead
> be sending me (or worse PUBLICLY writing) strongly-worded enquiries
> asking, in effect, "what the FUCK do you think you're playing at,
> lkcl?? i thought this was an entirely libre-based project, and here
> you are advocating the use of github which has an F on the GNU
> project's hosting watchlist??  i gave you my money because i believed
> in you, now you've completely destroyed my trust in you and that can
> never be restored or regained"
>
>  this is the sort of thing i'm up against.  it has fuck-all to do with
> "zeal".  i *made a promise* to people, they believe in me, and i
> simply cannot let them down else absolutely nobody will trust me ever
> again.  the internet is *forever*. they'll see the (hypothetical)
> conversation in internet archives - forever - and the entirety of the
> last 6 years of work will have been for nothing.
>
> so please, people, for goodness sake: if you need to host any files
> please don't use github or any cloud services: it's me (and the
> project) that get into deep shit, not you.  i've got full control over
> a server which i've been running for 10 years, it has 4
> separately-allocated static IP addresses, and i have two friends who
> also run servers, both of whom make their living from software libre
> support.  we *really* don't need to use proprietary non-free services.
> if you'd like to host files or repositories send me an ssh key and i

I agree with your view point, github is not trustworthy. heck, gitlab
which is a few steps better is still crap.

I am not sure about gogs though...

https://gogs.io/

I am really though glad you take this sort of thing seriously. We should
all thank you for such zeal towards keeping things "Libre"

I hope you are successful Luke. And really, if normand sees this post, I
hope he has a better understanding of the consequences of such actions.

Anyways though, I look forward to when you get the rockchip processor
working to your specifications.

One last thing though, you said the a20 doesn't support 4.9 kernel...
but what about the rk3288 processor?