[Arm-netbook] Batteries and materials (was Re: Code of conduct?)

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 08:43:12 BST 2016

> ---
> crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68
>

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I don't really want to weigh in on a topic that I don't have any specific
> > interest or expertise in, but my impression was (Musk aside) that nobody
> > really expects battery technology to stick with lithium or "rare earths".

Musk's take of the cut, drivers others to find alternatives.

> > Here, progress in materials science appears to be driving development
> towards
> > more mundane materials.
>
>  that just leaves copper.  if there existed a room-temperature
> flexible superconductor replacement we'd do okay.

We're getting there:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Timeline_of_Superconductivity_from_1900_to_2015.svg

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-graphene-superconductiveelectrons-mass-resistance.html

But it'll take a while before production. But the higher the demands on
batteries and semiconductors. The harder the search for alternatives.

All semiconductor companies have serious trouble further miniaturizing
silicon lithography. If we find ways to reduce resistance in the materials
than the miniaturization becomes less of an issue.